Thursday, September 25, 2008

Breaking the Recreational Status Quo


I think we should break the “recreational status quo.” Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s great to have some fun things to do that you can fall back on, but I sometimes worry that too many of us have a couch indentation that uniquely defines a special place to sit.

I am, of course, referring in a great majority to the culture of television shows and movies. We all love TV, several hours a day for those of us who live in the United States. We all have our favorite shows (I’m partial to The Office, 24, The Big Bang Theory, Scrubs, and MASH), but what about all the other cool things you can do with your spare time?

One of the things I try to do is to try things I’ve never done before. I recently tried out for a comedy troupe- I didn’t make it, but it was a lot of fun to try. Some other interesting things to try might be rappelling, rock climbing, learning to play a musical instrument, speaking in public, writing poetry, playing organized sports, traveling, or community service. The point is not what we’re doing; just that it’s something different than the normal things we do for fun.


So go ahead: Break the Recreational Status Quo and have some fun doing it…

No comments: