Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Break This: Computer Complacency

I have the feeling that when people buy most electronic devices, namely computers, they have a tendency to just accept the computer as is. I mean, taking the computer with the software and features already installed. Not many people take the time to uninstall software they don't need, install applications they prefer, or customize the look and feel of the machine.

I think it is time to stop being complacent about our personal computers and to take charge of making them our own and not just another HP, Dell, Mac, etc. So start uninstalling the bloatware or any software that you don't want. Research and try out different alternatives to popular software. I would recommend looking at alternatives at download.com which has a large list of alternatives and a column dedicated to freeware that has great potential and usability.

Want to change the look and feel? Try out Interfacelift for new icons, wallpaper, and screen savers that are public domain. Spice it up with some of your own artwork and pictures. Want to be recognized on the network? How about changing the name of your machine that reflects how you view your machine better. I had one programming teacher who called his "Stallion"; I named my laptop the Spanish name for Lancelot.

Go ahead, make the product you own really your own. That way when somebody asks "Oh, you got a new HP?" you can happily reply "this is my custom laptop."

No comments: