Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Break This: Biking without a Lock

If there has been one habit of BYU students in the area that makes me aware that I live in a college area that has way too much trust in the strangers that surround them. I don't know about most people, but growing up I was taught the principle of not trusting strangers. I figured this applied in all situations, that's why I have a firewall on my computer, a deadbolt on the front door of my condo, and a quick reaction to lock my car once I get out.

However, I have seen that this does not apply to most people on campus...when it comes to their bikes. BYU has a plethora of bike riders that stuff the racks with their two-wheeled mode of transportation. However, I'd say about a third don't have a lock on their bike. Now, I understand that people in this community believe that everyone here is a kind-hearted, good-spirited person, but the fact of the matter is more theft happens here because most people aren't.

I'm not a pessimist, untrusting, or paranoid, but I do understand that there are plenty of people willing to steal a $500 to $700 bike in broad daylight. Why? Because it is so easy. First, a lot of bikes are unlocked, second, most people are too busy either listening to music or talking on the phone to really pay attention, and third, how do people really identify it isn't their bike? They don't have to undo the lock, enter a password, or use a key. They just pick up the bike and leave with a nice new bike.

Hopefully this trend will change but from the look of police beat and news from classmates and friends, it doesn't seem like it.

No comments: