Friday, October 17, 2008

Break this: Cell Phone Advertising


I hate cell phone advertising with a passion. Sure, I’m okay with the barrage of marketing attempts on the internet, television, radio, newspapers, billboards, and I guess even those guys who invite you to “information sessions” trying to get me to recruit three friends to join- but my cell phone?


That’s right. If you haven’t experienced the magic of the cell phone text message, or its verbal counterpart, you probably will sometime soon. A recent article in ComputerWorld (http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9097878) details the channels and the players in the game, but the result is that all of us will be receiving lots of cell phone advertising via text, web, phone call, etc. from companies like Microsoft, Google, and Yahoo. And the sad part about the whole issue is that I end up paying for those annoying text messages on my monthly statement.

So what do we do about it? Join the DND List, or call the cell phone company and complain. These people need to know that we’re not going to take it, and especially that we’re not going to pay for them to text us. So go ahead: let’s break the Cell Phone Advertising movement.

No comments: